"I think you have diabetes;
we'll have to do more tests!"
"I was devastated when my physician said he thought I might have diabetes. And if you've just been told that you or a loved one has this condition then I hope the content I've gathered on this website helps you to cope with your new lifestyle..."
Get your FREE copy of 'How To Take Control Of Your Diabetes'
Hello, and Welcome, Fellow Diabetic,
if you've just discovered you might be a diabetic, the first thing you need to do is to find out what it is is exactly, how you control it and the health risks you may have because of it.
- The bad news: it is a life-long condition that can be life-threatening. At the moment there is no easily applied 'cure'.
- The good news: it is controllable and, when properly controlled, should not prevent you from leading a normal life. And there have been great inroads to understanding the condition and how to cope with it.
People are becoming more aware of diabetes – and you may have come across it before now, especially as it is reckoned to be increasing at an alarming rate. The majority of cases diagnosed are type 2 and, if you've just been diagnosed, there's a high probability that is the type you have. If a child is diagnosed with the condition it is, more often than not, type 1.
The most worrying aspect of this disease – especially if it isn't properly controlled – is the other health problems it can lead to; such as heart and kidney problems, which can be life-threatening. These risks can be minimized with good control.
An important part of the control you must have is your diet. Medical opinion about eating plans for blood sugar control has changed a great deal since the early 1980s (when I was diagnosed). Because creating a healthy eating plan is the norm for most families these days, it is not as difficult to control your blood sugar levels as it used to be.
When you are newly diagnosed it can be very scary. Knowing what other people have experienced and what they discovered can be a comfort and inspiration. You can find these on the Diabetes Stories page.
What this Site Contains
On this site you'll find a collection of informative publications/articles; stories; case studies; success stories of famous people - who have achieved in spite of being a diabetic (as anyone can); information on how to care for yourself or your diabetic relative; products that may help with testing or control; diabetes alert jewelry and other useful accessories.
I've also gathered some tasty recipes for you to try. Recipes that take into account your diabetic dietary needs. Visit the Diabetes Recipes page for a large selection of free diabetic recipes - and yes, there are some treats for those of us who still have a sweet-tooth! If you like cheesecake - look for my favorite 'pineapple cheesecake for diabetics' recipe!
This site is 'live'; what I mean by that is it will grow as I add more information – especially news on the research that is happening all over the globe. So do bookmark this site in your favorites or use the orange RSS/XML buttons on the left to add my mini-blog to your news reader. Or you can add it toyour My Yahoo, My MSN or Google page.
Explore what this web site contains now and do come back to check it out regularly.
The Small Print...
Well, it's not really the small-print - I'm not going to make you squint to read it!
But there is one thing you do need to know... this collection of tips is purely information I've gathered for easy access. I am not a qualified medical professional - like you (or your loved one) I am simply a diabetic - so please, before you follow any advice or use any information you find on this site do check with your diabetic medical team, especially if you have any concerns.
You see, it's not practical for me to test every bit of 'know-how' or advice I find, although I've researched as much as I can. At the end of the day I cannot endorse anything or take any responsibility for the results you may or may not get by using the information you find on or linked to this site.
Having said that - I do sincerely hope you find this web site interesting, informative and enlightening and that it does help you - even if only in a small way - to understand and live with your diabetes.
P.S. If you are interested in 'my story' about being diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes Click here
Looking for something specific? Pop it in the box below and click the circle next to www.your-diabetes.com
to search this website for information:
Top: Your Diabetes
- Free Diabetes Book Gift
- Discover how to take control of your diabetes with this FREE diabetes book gift
- What is Diabetes?
- If you thought, when told you have diabetes what is diabetes?, find out here.
- What is a Cause of Diabetes
- Are you susceptible to developing diabetes? Check the most well known cause of diabetes...
- Check this Diabetes Symptom
- Do you have a diabetes symptom? Check different diabetes symptoms here
- Diabetes information on other health complications
- Get diabetes information on how diabetes can create other health problems. Check the complications that might result from your diabetes.
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- If you have any concerns about diabetic retinopathy and its treatment read this webpage..
- Diabetes Control and Health Management
- There's a lot you can do to manage your diabetes control. Follow this simple care advice to maintain your diabetes control
- Diabetes Weight Loss
- Controlling your weight is crucial for a diabetic. And for diabetes weight loss is often the first step towards control. Are you avoiding these weight gain habits?
- Diabetes Supply Resources
- Information to help you find diabetes supply sources
- Diabetic Menu Planning
- Planning your diabetic menu must take into account how different foods affect your diabetes. Discover what you need to know about your healthy diabetic menu
- Carbohydrates, high blood sugars, diabetes, the connection
- Carbohydrates, high blood sugars, diabetes. Is there a connection? Discover how carbohydrates affects high blood sugars which could result in diabetes...
- Delicious Diabetes Recipe
- Find your favorite diabetes recipe. Use these delicious diabetic recipes to create your own menu - many of these recipes are free
- Share Your Favorite Diabetes Recipe
- Got a favorite diabetes recipe? Share yours and win a diabetic ebook worth $14.95
- Diabetic Recipes Book for Your Diabetic Menu
- Gargantuan book of over 450 delicious diabetic recipes. These easy to prepare diabetic recipes soon become firm favorites on your diabetic menu
- Your Favorite Diabetes Recipes
- Which of these favorite diabetes recipes sent in by other visitors do you prefer? Why not share your diabetic recipe and win a prize draw?
- Diabetes Stories from Diabetics
- Read diabetes stories that inspire from other diabetics
- Diabetes Stories - send yours
- Your diabetes stories wll inspire others - please share
- Your Diabetes News Links
- A new report on diabetes news that is important and relevant to diabetics is on this site.
- Diabetes Articles Library
- A wide variety of diabetes articles covering all aspects of diabetes and diabetic care...
- Your Diabetes Contact Page
- Use this contact page to ask questions or send comments to Your Diabetes.com
- Your Diabetes Site Updates
- This mini-blog keeps you up to date with the latest information updates on this website; Your Diabetes.com
Subscribe here for news, articles, recipes, stories from other diabetics and more.
- Diabetes Information Websites
- A collection of diabetes information websites offering useful and interesting advice. Diabetes and other health issues are covered in these informative and, in some cases, fun websites.
- Diabetes Link Exchange Request Page
- If you website contains useful information for people with diabetes I'd be interested in exchanging links
- Diabetes Information
- Site Map for Your Diabetes
- If you are looking for something specific about diabetes on this site, this site map for your diabetes.com can help.
- Diabetic Christmas Recipes
- A Selection of delicious Diabetic Christmas Recipes for you to enjoy with all the family